- 4 lettuce cups (romaine leaves)
- 4 fillets firm white fish, or use shrimp
- 1 ½ cups red cabbage, sliced thin
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar 1 red chili pepper, seeded, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 large avocado, skin and pit removed
- 1 small red chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- Make the guacamole: Mash the avocado, then add the red chili pepper, lime juice and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- To cook the fish: Place the fish fillets in a large steamer basket over boiling water. Cover and steam about 10 minutes. Maybe 15. Remove and slice into thirds.
- While the fish is cooking, toss the cabbage with the rice vinegar, chili pepper and herbs.
- To assemble the tacos, add some of the cabbage to the bottom of the lettuce cup. Top with pieces of the fish, diced tomato and a dollop of guacamole.
*Steaming is a great way to cook fish because it allows the flavors of the fish to really stand out. All fish can be steamed; it’s an almost foolproof technique for keeping the flesh moist. Adding herbs or spices to the steamer infuses those flavors into the fish. You can also poach the fish or even gently pan fry in a small amount of coconut oil.